On Friday, November 8, 2013, Arizona health care leaders took part in the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Surgical Health Care Quality Forum Arizona at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. The event featured keynote speaker State Representative Heather Carter (R-LD 15), Chair, Health Committee, Arizona House of Representatives, and was hosted by Steven B. Johnson, MD, FACS, FCCM, Professor and Chairman (Banner/VA), Department of Surgery, University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix; Program Director, Phoenix Integrated Surgical Residency Program, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center; President, Arizona Chapter of the American College of Surgeons.
The event also featured a panel of experts who led a community discussion around Inspiring Quality in Surgical Health Care – Quality Improvement Programs that Improve Outcomes and Reduce Costs.
Forum participants included:
- Leila F. Barraza, JD, MPH, Fellow, Public Health Law & Policy Program, Adjunct Professor of Law, Deputy Director, Network for Public Health Law – Western Region, Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- Stuart D. Flynn, MD, Dean, University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
- John A. Hensing, MD, FACP, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Banner Health
- David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS, Executive Director, ACS
- Nirav Y. Patel, MD, FACS, Vice Chairman for Quality and Patient Safety, Department of Surgery, Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center