On April 26, 2013, health care leaders from across Connecticut gathered at the State Capitol in Hartford for the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Surgical Health Care Quality Forum Connecticut, in partnership with the ACS Connecticut Chapter and the Connecticut State Medical Society. Hosted by Scott J. Ellner, DO, MPH, FACS, Director of Surgical Quality, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center; Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Connecticut Medical School; and Co-Chair, ACS Connecticut Chapter Committee on Patient Safety, the forum featured keynote speaker Kevin J. Counihan, CEO, Access Health CT.
U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) made a special appearance to discuss the important role surgeons play in driving national efforts to improve health care quality and reduce costs. Sen. Blumenthal urged surgeons to reach out to lawmakers to ensure they have the right support to increase the value of health care.
Forum panelists included:
- Andrew Baskin, MD, National Medical Director for Quality and Provider Performance Measurement, Aetna
- Colleen Desai, MSN, RN, CEN, Trauma Program Manager, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center; President-Elect, Connecticut Emergency Nurses Association
- Alison L. Hong, MD, Director, Quality and Patient Safety, Connecticut Hospital Association
- David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS, Executive Director, American College of Surgeons
- Kathleen LaVorgna, MD, FACS, Private Practice Surgeon, Norwalk Hospital; President, ACS Connecticut Chapter
- Kevin Lembo, Comptroller, State of Connecticut
- Donna Laliberte O’Shea, MD, MBA, CPE, Market Medical Director, Connecticut, UnitedHealthcare
- Rocco Orlando III, MD, FACS, Senior Vice President & Chief Medical Officer, Hartford HealthCare