On Tuesday, April 1, 2014, South Carolina health care leaders and presenters from the Safe Surgery 2015 team gathered for the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Surgical Health Care Quality Forum South Carolina. Co-sponsored by Safe Surgery 2015 and the South Carolina Hospital Association (SCHA), the purpose of this ACS Inspiring Quality community forum was to share successes of South Carolina’s Surgical Safety Checklist initiative as a way to measurably improve surgical outcomes and reduce costs. The event was hosted by Chad A. Rubin, MD, FACS, Staff Surgeon, Providence Hospitals; ACS Governor-at-Large for the state of South Carolina.
Presenters from the Safe Surgery 2015 team discussed the development and implementation of the surgical checklist in every operating room in the state and how results from this pilot have served as a model to improve surgical quality and patient safety across the United States.
- Atul Gawande, MD, MPH, FACS, Director, Ariadne Labs, Harvard School of Public Health; Executive Director, Safe Surgery 2015 Initiative; General and Endocrine Surgeon, Brigham and Women’s Hospital; Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School; Professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health
Panel of Experts:
- William Berry, MD, MPA, MPH, FACS, Principle Research Scientist Harvard School of Public Health; Chief Medical Officer and Surgery Lead, Ariadne Labs; Program Director, Safe Surgery 2015 Initiative
- Ashley Kay Childers, PhD, CPHQ, Research Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering, Clemson University; Safe Surgery 2015 Initiative
- David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS, Executive Director, American College of Surgeons
- William A. McDougall, Commercial Airline Captain
- David L. Oliver, MD, Medical Director, Patient Safety and Risk Management, Palmetto Health; Staff Anesthesiologist, Department of Anesthesiology, Palmetto Health Richland
For more information, email InspiringQualityTour@facs.org.